Tuesday, November 20, 2012

For the first 59 minutes of bootcamp, I am miserable. I sweat. I grunt. I moan. Simply put, I hate it. I can't wait till it's over.

And then something happens at minute 60.

I feel thrilled and alive. And it's not just because the session is finally done.

For those few glorious minutes after the workout, I am high on natural chemicals released after a brutal workout. I am happy and proud. And feeling like I could it all over again. Crazy.

With Thanksgiving in two days, we are working out with extra fervor. We are paying in advance for all the stuffing and gravy and cranberries and apple pies we are sure to eat.

But how many calories can such workouts really burn? Maybe six or seven hundred at a time? It sounds like a lot, but in reality, one slice of banana cream pie will take care of that. And then what? It is way too easy to indulge and think I can consume without care just because I am working out so much.

The truth is, exercise does not give that much latitude. It makes you stronger and healthier and helps clear the mind. But it definitely does not allow for reckless abandon and wanton eating.

Unless you are an Olympian, or die-hard athlete, or exercise nut who spends several hours a day pumping and burning.

Than you can eat till the cows sing.


No comments:

Post a Comment